We have ice cream cake every year for my daughter's June birthday. It is always a big hit at her annual pool party. This year, we did something different: we made it ourselves. It definitely cost less and it was easy to prepare. With my mother-in-law's fancy handwriting, we customized the top decoration to fit the party's theme and my daughter's current interests. The result: pure deliciousness!
Makes 10 servings
Note: we doubled the recipe in the pictures below.
- 1/2 cup ice cream hot fudge
- 1 8 oz tub whipped topping, thawed *Note: have another one standing by
- 1 3.9 oz package chocolate instant pudding
- 1 cup chopped chocolate sandwich cookies
- 12 vanilla ice cream sandwiches
1. Warm hot fudge. In a medium bowl, combine hot fudge with 1 cup whipped topping using a whisk. Add dry pudding mix and stir for about 2 minutes. Stir in chopped cookies.
2. On a 24 in-long sheet of aluminum foil, layer 4 ice cream sandwiches arranged side by side and half the topping mixture; repeat layers.
3. Top with remaining sandwiches.
4. Frost the cake with remaining whipped topping.
Note: this is where the extra tub of whipped topping may be necessary.
5. Loosely seal the aluminum foil around the cake.
6. Freeze for 4 hours or until firm.
7. Serve and enjoy!
Additional notes and tips:
The ice cream sandwiches melt quickly at room temperature. Make sure to start with ones that are well frozen. It helps to unwrap the sandwiches, return to the freezer to harden again, then take them out as you need them for one layer at a time.