I love to make spicy recipes with unique flavors, and chicken shawarma is one of my family's favorites. The mix of garlicky, spicy meat with tzatziki sauce and a cool Greek salad is so good!
- 2 lbs boneless chicken thighs, trimmed (look for bone bits)
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- t tbsp smoked or regular paprika
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3 tbsp lemon juice, or 1 lemon, squeezed
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Tzatziki sauce (available in dairy section)
- Greek salad: Lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, red onions, kalamata olives
- Pita bread
- Prepared white rice
- Mix all spices and herbs, lemon juice and olive oil in a gallon size Ziploc bag. Close the bag and squeeze it to make sure ingredients are combined.
- Add chicken thighs, close the Ziploc bag (squeezing out extra air) and roll/massage the bag until all chicken pieces are well-coated in marinade.
- Refrigerate the chicken in bag for 12 to 24 hours.
- Place chicken thighs on a foil-lined pan sprayed with oil spray and bake for 20-30 minutes at 350 degrees, or grill on an outdoor grill for 15-20 minutes.
- Slice chicken and serve with rice, hummus, Greek salad, tzatziki sauce and pita bread.