We've put together a list of all the fun local things to do and places to go this summer! As always, keep in mind that this edition of Macaroni Kid focuses on Acton, Bedford, Boxborough, Carlisle, Concord, Lexington, Lincoln and Maynard. There are tons of activities outside our area but this list is about keeping it LOCAL, EASY and FUN!
FIRST THINGS FIRST
- Check the Macaroni Kid Acton-Concord-Bedford-Lexington event calendar to see what's happening daily
- Register for summer camps and programs
- Plan a day trip using our Day Trip Guide to over 130 fun destinations within 2-3 hours of the Acton-Lexington area
- Print out our Summer Bucket List for a list of 75+ summer activities
- Join the Summer Reading program at your local library
- Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge
- Barnes & Noble Summer Reading Program
- Write a book report and enjoy a free movie on Bookworm Wednesdays in July at Showcase Cinema
ONLY IN SUMMER
- See a Boston Red Sox baseball game
- Visit a Farmers Market
- See an outdoor Summer Concert
- Enjoy a local spray park, lake or outdoor pool -- see our Water Play Guide
- Find your favorite local handmade ice cream in our Ice Cream Shop Guide
FESTIVALS AND ANNUAL EVENTS (details on our event calendar)
June 17: Strawberry Festival
June 26: Carlisle Old Home Day
June 26: Family Campout
July 1-5: Lexington Carnival with Fireworks on July 2
July 17: Blueberry Pancake Breakfast at Verrill Farm
August 22: Beach Party at NARA Park Beach
SUMMER MUSIC (details on our event calendar and on our Summer Music Guide)
- Lexington Bicentennial Band
- Bedford Summer Concerts
- NARA Park
- Lexington Chamber of Commerce Summer Concerts
Get the wiggles out at...
Do these projects at home:
- DIY Stick Horse
- Paint rocks
- Make Your Own Crayons
- DIY Craft Stick Snowflakes
- Make Your Own Marbled Paper with Shaving Cream
- Recycled Musical Instruments
- Make Your Own Pan Flute with Straws
- Super Easy Fluffy Slime
- Easy Tie Dyed Shoes
- Make Your Own Drum
- Make an Ice Castle out of Sugar Cubes
- DIY July 4th Candle Holders
- Simple Mosaic Sun Catchers
- DIY Cheerleader Pompoms
- Bead Sun Catchers
- Painted Fireworks for the 4th
- Dancing Ribbons
- Butterfly Art Project
- 10 Ideas for Technology-Free Summer Days with your Kids
Learn something new at...
- Minute Man National Historical Park
- Louisa May Alcott's Orchard House
- Job Lane House
- Concord Museum
- The Old Manse
- The Discovery Museum
See a movie...
BIKES, TRAINS and AUTOMOBILES
Pick your own...
Visit a playground...
- Rideout Park Playground in Concord
- Bedford Center Playground
- NARA Park Playground in Acton
- Gardner Field Playground in Acton
- Lincoln Park Playground in Lexington
- More playgrounds to come in our Playground Guide!
In your community...
- Go geocaching or letterboxing
- deCordova Sculpture Park and Museum
- Canoeing on the Concord River
- Great Meadows National Wildlife Refuge
- Acton Arboretum
- Mass Audubon Drumlin Farm
- Walden Pond State Reservation
- Great Brook Park State Park
- Water Play Guide
- Go for a hike on a local hiking or walking trail. See our Hiking and Walking Trails Guide.
In your backyard...
- Create a Fairy Garden
- Why Boxes and Tape are the Best Toys
- Cookie Cutter Bird Feeders
- Grow Your Own Lettuce
- Host Your Own Playground or Backyard Summer Games
- DIY Indoor/Outdoor Tent
- Milk Jug Catchers & Newspaper Balls
- Make Your Own Patriotic Shirts
- Worm Composting Station
- DIY Terra Cotta Wind Chimes
- Make Your Own Oobleck
- Giant Bubble Wand and Giant Bubble Solution
- DIY Sprinkler
- 10 Kid-Approved Summer Boredom Busters
Macaroni Kid Acton-Concord-Bedford-Lexington is a free weekly newsletter and website focused on fun events and information for local families.
We gather together all kinds of local family events and activities each week, and add useful information about classes, family-focused businesses, book and product reviews, recipes, crafts, school and camp guides and more. We proudly serve thousands of families in Acton, Bedford, Boxborough, Carlisle, Concord, Lexington, Lincoln, Maynard and other surrounding communities.
Subscribe today to receive our email newsletter every Thursday!
Advertise with us to connect with thousands of local families!